Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Sugar Cookie Bars

Okay, okay, it's only November 6 and I'm kinda getting tired of this posting something original every single day.  It shouldn't be that hard right?  Well, expect some less exciting posts on days I work and some more creative posts on my days off... It all evens out right?

Seeing how today is election day, I should probably post about that, right?  Well, I'm not going to.  Instead, I'm going to post one of my favorite recipes.  Most of you probably know I have Celiac's disease, which means I can't eat gluten.  Gluten is found in anything with white flour, and a lot of processed foods.  My sister has started a blog where she posts a lot of her gluten free recipes.  It's pretty awesome...and whenever I don't know what to make for dinner I usually look there first.

One of the things I really missed when I went gluten free was sugar cookies.  Here is a recipe I adapted to be gluten free of a sugar cookie bar...

Sugar Cookie Bars
1 1/2 c. sugar
1 c. butter, room temperature
8 oz. cream cheese, room temperature
1 egg
1 t. vanilla
1 t. baking powder
1/2 t. baking soda
2 1/2 c. GF flour (I used 1/2 c. white rice flour, 1 c. brown rice flour, 1 c. tapioca flour and 1/2 t. xantham gum)

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Line a jelly roll pan with foil, spray with cooking spray.
3. Cream butter, sugar and cream cheese together.
4. Add in egg and vanilla.
5. Add in dry ingredients.
6. Mix until just combined.
7. Press into pan (dough will be sticky).
8. Bake for 20 minutes or until edges begin to golden (remember that oven temperatures vary and yours may be done sooner!).
9. Cool completely before frosting.

These are the imitation Lofthouse sugar cookies that have been floating around pinterest, adapted to be GF by my sister Andrea but originally from this site:http://cookiesandcups.com/lofthouse-sugar-cookie-bars/

I like to frost it with my mom's homemade frosting and sprinkles.  :)

Doesn't it look delicious??

Anyways, my sister posted this on her blog, along with LOTS of other yummy recipes that you should check out.  Enjoy!!

2 comments:

  1. I was thinking the same thing tonight - it's 11:54 and I just got a post up. Yikes, this is harder than I remembered.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seriously! Why can't this be in February? Then we only have to write 28 days! :-)

    ReplyDelete