Sunday, December 16, 2012

Broken Things to Mend

It seems this picture has been flooding the internet since Friday's tragedy.



This one, however, has always been one of my favorite pictures.



I've been thinking a lot lately about life, and about different experiences we have.  As most people know, I work at an acute psychiatric facility.  Daily I have the privilege to work with amazing people who are dealing with incredibly challenging circumstances.  Sometimes these situations are a result of poor choices, either their own or by those they love and care about.  Other times these situations just happen.

And so I've found myself pondering, more so this weekend, why do bad things happen?  Why does God allow tragedy to strike?  It seems like an unanswerable question, but in reality, the answer is simple.  It is because God loves us.  He loves each of His children.  And He will never do anything to prohibit our use of our agency.  At times, people use their agency in a way that hurts others.  But that hurt and pain will be made up for in the eternal scheme of things.

I love this quote by Orson F. Whitney, who said "No pain that we suffer, no trial that we experience is wasted.  It ministers to our education, to the development of such qualities as patience, faith, fortitude, and humility.  All that we suffer and all that we endure, especially when we endure it patiently, builds up our characters  purifies our hearts, expands our souls, and makes us more tender and charitable, more worthy to be called the children of God."

These difficult times in life are invitations to come unto Christ, to be healed through His Atonement.  There are enough comments and opinions circulating the internet about gun laws and mental health services and whatnot.  I'm not here to debate any of that.  I'm here to testify that despite the heartache we experience in life--because we will experience it--Christ will be there for us.  I have always loved Elder Holland's talk "Broken Things to Mend."  He states, in part:

"I speak to those who are facing personal trials and family struggles, those who endure conflicts fought in the lonely foxholes of the heart, those trying to hold back flood, waters of despair that sometimes wash over us like a tsunami of the soul.  I wish to speak particularly to you who feel your lives are broken, seemingly beyond repair.

To all such I offer the surest and sweetest remedy that I know.  It is found in the clarion call the Savior of the world Himself gave.  He said it in the beginning of His ministry, and He said it in the end.  He said it to believers, and He said it to those who were not so sure.  He said it to everyone, whatever their personal problems might be:

"Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.  Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls."

If you are lonely, please know you can find comfort.  If you are discouraged, please know you can find hope.  If you are poor in spirit, please know you can be strengthened.  If you feel you are broken, please know you can be mended.

Considering the incomprehensible cost of the Crucifixion and Atonement, I promise you He is not going to turn His back on us now.  When He says to the poor in spirit, "Come unto me," He means He knows the way out and He knows the way up.  He knows it because He has walked it.  He knows the way because He  is the way."

Isn't that a beautiful message?  Difficulties, heartache, trials and tragedy will happen.  But with Christ, we can overcome, we can be made strong, and we can be healed.

No comments:

Post a Comment