Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Another Ten on Tuesday

This week has been quite the roller coaster, which I may get into another time.  For now, here's my ten thoughts for the week.

1. I get to go home on Thursday!  It's been over a year since I've actually been home in Tracy, and I'm super excited!!  I'll also be home for my dad's birthday, which will be fun.

2. I did this project for an RT group on Sunday, and it went really well!  They turned out so cute and it was actually fun to do.  It was really easy too because you just used cookie cutters.

3. I went to get running shoes on Saturday.  My goal is to run a 5k at the end of February or sometime in March.  Turns out, I have even more messed up feet than I thought. :(  I sprained my ankle back in August and still can't fully run without the brace.  Add on the fact that I have terrible bunions and arch issues and it makes finding a shoe a challenge.  Then I realized I was getting shin splints... it was kind of a bummer.  Now I'm going to take it slow and see what I'll be able to really do.

4.  I have the best sisters ever.  We have so much fun together, even if it's crazy and the kids are grumpy.  I love our Friday night get togethers, and we don't have them as often as we should!

5. I've decided that I want to get into cooking more.  Last week I tried two new recipes- Cheesy Broccoli Quinoa and a Cheesy Bean and Rice Bake.  They were both super easy to make, tasted great and were actually pretty healthy (granted I did use low fat cheese and sour cream, but still).

6. UVU basketball games don't compare at all to BYU games (no offense).  We went for FHE last night and there may have been 50 people there... Made me miss the good old days with the 92nd ward.

These last few thoughts have to do with the tragic passing of a friend and coworker.

7.  It is possible to serve others even when you yourself are struggling.  That is such an admirable trait and one that blessed the lives of not only the patients at the RTC but also the staff, as well as everyone else he came in contact with.

8. Sometimes the best thing you can do to show you care is to listen.  I'm grateful for a friend who exemplified this time and time again as I watched him work at the RTC:
"I suspect that the most basic and powerful way to connect to another person is to listen. Just listen. Perhaps the most important thing we ever give each other is our attention. And especially if it’s given from the heart. When people are talking, there’s no need to do anything but receive them. Just take them in. Listen to what they’re saying. Care about it. Most times caring about it is even more important than understanding it."   Rachel Naomi Remen

9.  Every moment you can make a memory.  I thought a lot as I was at work on Sunday night at the RTC about how blessed I am to associate with such wonderful people, and resolved to make the most of each shift, each moment I have because we never know when it will be too late.

10.  No matter what happens in life or death, the Savior still cares and loves each one of us.  Whether we are on this side of the veil or the other, the Savior's atonement applies to us.  Wounds that couldn't be healed in mortality will be succored to on the other side, and I know that is happening to my dear friend now.

2 comments:

  1. Can I have those recipes? They sound fantastic.

    And I'm so sorry to hear about your friend. I hope you're doing ok. So grateful we have the gospel!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Colette- Sorry I haven't gotten you those recipes yet...I promise I haven't forgotten!!

    ReplyDelete