Tuesday, August 14, 2012

The One Where I Remember I Go To A Community College

So way back when (okay, so really it was like in April) I was seriously considering graduate school.  I thought about doing an Occupational Therapy (OT) program, but I needed to take a few prerequisite classes first- such as anthropology, sociology, physiology, etc.  So I decided to take some classes up at SLCC (Salt Lake Community College).  Summer tuition was cheap, and I got the in state tuition rate because it was summer.  Perfect!  I signed up for both anthropology and sociology, figuring it might be a little hectic taking two classes and working full time.  Yet, I knew I had to take them in order to be able to apply for grad school in time.

Well, despite being a BYU graduate, it took me a while to connect the dots.  SLCC is a community college--and was super easy for me! Anthropology was an online course, and I had three assignments each week: 1) Take a 5 question, open book quiz (with a retake possible); 2) write a half page paper on an assigned topic, post it on the discussion board, and then comment on two other people's papers; and 3) write a one page paper on a specific topic and email to the teacher.  Well, being the efficient gal that I am, I would do my homework on my graveyard shift--Friday night!  And almost every week I was the first one to post on the discussion board--and couldn't make my comments until Sunday night.

Sociology wasn't much harder.  I did have to go to class for this one, but sitting in the back it was easy to look engaged in class and really be focused on Pinterest or Facebook.  The first test I figured I should study for, then when it took about 10 minutes I was kind of bummed that I spent a good 45 minutes studying for it.  One of our first discussions in that class was about a sociologist who studied insane asylums, and when the professor asked if anyone had experience in a mental institution, I became one of her favorite students because I work at one!  After that, I always had interesting stories to share and easily got participation points.

So, anyways, the point of this is not to say that I am a genius-- believe me, my anatomy grade would definitely argue with that--but to explain one concept.  I learned that I need to be more aware of my surroundings.  BYU is not SLCC-- both have different expectations.  It made my summer a lot easier, but I regret that I didn't get much out of either class...  I guess it's always a trade off, right? That said, classes are over, I passed, and now I'm taking a break for a while! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment