Thursday, April 28, 2011

Times are Changing

April. It always seems like that's the big change time in college. The weather finally (hopefully) becomes springlike. The semester draws to an end. Finals are taken, and any sort of schedule flies out the window as life revolves around final projects and exams. Housing contracts are up. It's also a time of decision making. Where am I going to live now? What am I doing with my summer? Do I stay in Provo or go somewhere else? Do I work, take classes or try to do both? Seriously...a lot happens in April.

For me, it's been an interesting experiencing. Although i decided back in February what I wanted to do this summer, the little pieces weren't all perfectly figured out. I wasn't too worried...I knew it would out...somehow...someway.

Well here we are, April 28, and I think I've got it all figured out. What's the plan? Well.....

I should be starting an internship next week at Primary Children's Hospital in Salt Lake City. It's the last thing I need to do before I can graduate! I'm really excited because I LOVE TR (for you non-TR people out there, that stands for Therapeutic Recreation). Anyways I'll be working in a residential psychiatric facility for kids ages 6-13. Needless to say, I'm VERY excited!! I love psychology and I'm super excited for the chance to work with kids. Most of my TR volunteer experience has been with adolescents and my other internship was geriatrics, so I think this will be a good experience.

With the internship, I've decided to move to Bountiful to be closer to my work. Commuting from Provo every day just doesn't seem that fun :( So I'm going to move in with my grandparents and have a room in their basement. I think it'll be good to be closer to them and work, and I'll still be able to come down to Provo on the weekends to hang out with my sisters and niece.

However, because I'm moving and doing a full time internship, it was time to leave my job at the Dean's Office. I have loved working there!! I started back in November 2009, after I'd gotten home from my mission. And now it's been about 18 months. Crazy how time flies. Today was my last day there. It was bittersweet. I'm really looking forward to my internship, but also sad to leave this job. The people are the best, and I actually have a really fun job. I've learned a lot about the arts and music and the really cool people who have graduated from BYU, the importance of thank yous, how to effectively stalk people--thank you facebook ;) But more than that, I've learned better how to relate to people and understand them, to help them work through their problems. I've learned the importance of being there for those you care about and how much better things can be when we all work together. But also that you can't work too hard--I mean, work needs to be fun too! You need to keep the taffy jar stocked, music going, and finding little ways to sneak some fun in during the day. It was a great experience.

So that's the plan. Will it work out perfectly? Probably not. But that's okay. Even though I don't know what exactly will happen this summer and how exactly it'll turn out, I know it'll be good. It'll be challenging, but it'll be worth it. So let's go!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment